Specification of CHINESE JUNK MODEL BOAT
|Dimension (inch)||27.0L x 7.0W x 24.5H Inches|
|Brand name||Old Modern Handicrafts|
|Materials||western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal|
The history of CHINESE JUNK MODEL BOAT
A junk is a boat used in China. Junks usually have around two or three sails but sometimes have four. Each mast is made of bamboo. Bamboo is used because it is so strong that you don’t need very many ropes. Very large junks (about 150 meters or 492 feet long) are usually used for worldwide trips. An average sized junk usually carries food from city to city. The first Chinese junks were built in the Song dynasty between 960-1270. Later, in 1271-1368 a Mongol emperor built the first Chinese imperial treasure fleets. These junks sailed to Sumatra, Ceylon, and southern India. The famous explorer, Marco Polo journeyed to the Mongol court and described seeing four-masted junks that had sixty cabins for merchants and crews of up to 300. About six centuries ago, the Chinese built huge armadas of junks that sailed to Ceylon, Arabia, and East Africa. The fleet had huge nine-masted junks that were over 400 feet long and 150 feet wide or 122 meters long and 46 meters wide. There were 27,000 crew members and soldiers in the armada! These junks were escorted by water tankers, supply ships, ships for cavalry horses, and patrol boats.
Product Description of CHINESE JUNK MODEL BOAT
One of the most powerful ships of the ancient world, the Chinese junk ship is iconic for its bamboo-slatted sails and sophisticated design. This handmade model ship is a historically accurate replica of the classical Chinese sailing vessel used for commerce, military combat, piracy, and pleasure boating.
Crafted through the traditional plank-on-frame method of construction, this 27-inch model is made from quality, warm-hued exotic woods like mahogany and teak. Each model takes more than 50 hours of work by master craftsmen to construct strip by strip.
Fine details include main and mizzen masts, battened sails made from hand-stitched fabric, brass cannons and anchors, miniature lifeboats, covered hatches, and multi-level wooden deck. Model comes with a sturdy wooden stand and metal nameplate.
- 100% handcrafted using traditional techniques and modern technology
- Made from high-quality wood such as rosewood, western red cedar, mahogany, teak, etc.
- Hundreds of hours of hand craftsmanship to complete a model at museum-quality, ensuring attention to detail and precision
- No plastic parts is used in order to ensure authenticity and an authentic look
- Each model goes through a demanding in-house quality control before leaving the workshop, ensuring excellence and authenticity
- Protective packaging with wooden crate for safe shipping, close-to-zero damage and storage
- Skillful craftsmen have years of experience and a passion for their work, ensuring quality and accuracy.
- Material: high-grade wood such as: western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal only (no plastic parts)
- Skill: best traditional real ship-making methods applied, hundreds of hours required to finish each model by our master craftsmen
- Uniqueness: each ship is an “Exclusive Edition” where the model has a unique serial number etched into the hull
In this final important step, this ship is packed in a sturdy wood and then in a nice carton box with cushion for maximum protection. We also perform a drop test to make sure the package is safe in shipping.
Every ship has a story. From bow to stern, star board to port side, every vessel carries its own exquisite history. Through our fine hand craftsmanship, we tell that story the way it deserves to be told – with heart and soul. We uses traditional methods of building ship models, while integrating modern innovations. Our master craftsmen in Vietnam construct each ship entirely by hand using the traditional plank-on-bulk head method. They then harness high-tech tools like laser machines to create fine, accurate details. Each ship is scaled down in precise proportions from the original model for authenticity. It is a masterful synthesis of modern and traditional methods that makes the Old Modern quality one of a kind. What we mean by quality you can trust:
● Extensive research through original plans and pictures makes our models true to life.
● 100% hand-built from scratch, plank by plank.
● Hundreds of hours of work go into our museum-quality models.
● Made of quality wood such as western red cedar, mahogany, rosewood, teak, and more
● Chrome, brass, and cast metal fittings and ornaments add richness and verisimilitude
● Each model must pass a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop and making its voyage to you. Old Modern Handicrafts carries all manner of ships from every age of sail, and we are also proud to build custom models for our customers. Drop us a line – it’s our pleasure to help you tell your story. Staying at shore? Explore our nautical offerings for the home. Our novelties include vintage-style globes, magnifiers and telescopes, clocks, furniture, and all manner of nautical décor. The same quality of craftsmanship and care is extended to all our products, on land or at sea.