|Dimension (inch)||34.7 x 5.1 x 26 inches|
|Brand name||Old Modern Handicrafts|
|Materials||western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal|
The story of RRS Discovery
Flashback to 1901 when she was launched, this vintage and classic RRS Discovery ship model reminds you of the last traditional wooden three-masted ship to be built in the United Kingdom. Bringing the history vibe home with our historical gunboat, longboat and battle ship model collections.
The RRS Discovery was a barque-rigged auxiliary steamship that journeyed to the Antarctic on the famous Discovery Expedition. Launched in 1901, she was the last traditional three-masted wooden ship ever built in the United Kingdom. Initially serving as a merchant ship before and during WWI, Discovery was named the first Royal Research Ship of the British government in 1923. Her very first mission was the British National Antarctic Expedition, spearheaded by Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton. On this pioneering voyage, Scott and Shackleton conducted key research into the oceans, marine life, and whale populations of the Antarctic. To this day, the RRS Discovery remains a powerful symbol of curiosity, ambition, and adventure.
THIS RRS DISCOVERY IS TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL OR ARE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A CUSTOMIZATION SHIP MODEL?
Our master craftsmen build scale replicas of any vessel including but not limited to tall ship, sailing yachts, cruiseship, speedboat to any size using integration technique of traditional to modern methods.
- Material: high-grade wood such as: western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal only (no plastic parts)
- Skill: best traditional real ship-making methods applied, hundreds of hours required to finish each model by our master craftsmen
- Uniqueness: each ship is an “Exclusive Edition” where the model has a unique serial number etched into the hull
This RRS DISCOVERY is packed in a wooden carton with cushions to maximize protection. We ensure that this RRS DISCOVERY arrives perfectly for display and decoration.
In this final important step, this ship is packed in a sturdy wood and then in a nice carton box with cushion for maximum protection. We also perform a drop test to make sure the package is safe in shipping.
Every ship has a story. From bow to stern, star board to port side, every vessel carries its own exquisite history. Through our fine hand craftsmanship, we tell that story the way it deserves to be told – with heart and soul. We uses traditional methods of building ship models, while integrating modern innovations. Our master craftsmen in Vietnam construct each ship entirely by hand using the traditional plank-on-bulk head method. They then harness high-tech tools like laser machines to create fine, accurate details. Each ship is scaled down in precise proportions from the original model for authenticity. It is a masterful synthesis of modern and traditional methods that makes the Old Modern quality one of a kind. What we mean by quality you can trust:
● Extensive research through original plans and pictures makes our models true to life.
● 100% hand-built from scratch, plank by plank.
● Hundreds of hours of work go into our museum-quality models.
● Made of quality wood such as western red cedar, mahogany, rosewood, teak, and more
● Chrome, brass, and cast metal fittings and ornaments add richness and verisimilitude
● Each model must pass a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop and making its voyage to you. Old Modern Handicrafts carries all manner of ships from every age of sail, and we are also proud to build custom models for our customers. Drop us a line – it’s our pleasure to help you tell your story. Staying at shore? Explore our nautical offerings for the home. Our novelties include vintage-style globes, magnifiers and telescopes, clocks, furniture, and all manner of nautical décor. The same quality of craftsmanship and care is extended to all our products, on land or at sea.
If you are having a hard time making decision, here are some of our recommendations: