Are you looking for a perfect display combination? Our T.S.S. NORMANDIE 40” model and display case combo will sure to set your home or office apart!
44.75Lx 9.25W x 15H Inches
|Brand name||Old Modern Handicrafts|
|Materials||western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal|
The Model: The T.S.S. NORMANDIE was one of the finest ocean liners ever produced by France. Master craftsmen handcraft these highly detailed wood models from scratch using historical photographs, drawings, and original plan. They are built to scale with high-grade wood such as western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany. They are 100% hand built individually using plank-on-frame construction method and are similar to the building of actual ships. Each model requires hundreds of hours to finish and must go through a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop. The model comes with the mast down to save on shipping cost. Hundreds of detailed pieces went into the construction of this model. There are multiple wood decks. You can see hundreds of open windows along the hull. Layers of stanchions with guardrails are placed all around the deck. Three magnificent smokestacks with chimneys are carefully painted in red and black. Dozens of wooden lifeboats are all meticulously hand-built according to scale. This model is part of an exclusive edition with a unique laser cut serial number located behind the brass nameplate. It’ll make a perfect gift for home or office decorator, boat enthusiast, or passionate collector.
The Display Case: This beautiful display case was made out of hardwood and painted in dark mahogany color. It has distinctive designs that add elegance and beauty when displayed in your home or office. It comes with plexiglass panels on all sides. This case is very effective when it comes to preventing dust particles as well as keeping your valuable cruise ship looking new and protected at all time. It is a must-have for model ship enthusiasts or passionate collectors.
The story of Normandie Painted Large
T.S.S. Normandie was one of the finest ocean liners ever produced -arguably the grandest ever. Second in size only to the Queen Elizabeth, running mate of the Queen Mary, the Normandie was created to represent the French nation and all it had to offer to the world. Her design and decor were innovative, distinctive and luxurious, which contributed to her being described as the "ultimate ocean liner" of the 1930s. Sadly, the Normandie burned and capsized in New York harbor during the war as she was being converted into the troopship Lafayette. Normandie was never recovered from the fire on February 9, 1942. Refloated and towed to the Brooklyn Navy Yard in September 1943 she was kept there for the remaining of the war and unwanted and unusable ended scrapped in Newark, NJ in 1946.
- Material: high-grade wood such as: western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal only (no plastic parts)
- Skill: best traditional real ship-making methods applied, hundreds of hours required to finish each model by our master craftsmen
- Uniqueness: each ship is an “Exclusive Edition” where the model has a unique serial number etched into the hull
In this final important step, this ship is packed in a sturdy wood and then in a nice carton box with cushion for maximum protection. We also perform a drop test to make sure the package is safe in shipping.
Every ship has a story. From bow to stern, star board to port side, every vessel carries its own exquisite history. Through our fine hand craftsmanship, we tell that story the way it deserves to be told – with heart and soul. We uses traditional methods of building ship models, while integrating modern innovations. Our master craftsmen in Vietnam construct each ship entirely by hand using the traditional plank-on-bulk head method. They then harness high-tech tools like laser machines to create fine, accurate details. Each ship is scaled down in precise proportions from the original model for authenticity. It is a masterful synthesis of modern and traditional methods that makes the Old Modern quality one of a kind. What we mean by quality you can trust:
● Extensive research through original plans and pictures makes our models true to life.
● 100% hand-built from scratch, plank by plank.
● Hundreds of hours of work go into our museum-quality models.
● Made of quality wood such as western red cedar, mahogany, rosewood, teak, and more
● Chrome, brass, and cast metal fittings and ornaments add richness and verisimilitude
● Each model must pass a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop and making its voyage to you. Old Modern Handicrafts carries all manner of ships from every age of sail, and we are also proud to build custom models for our customers. Drop us a line – it’s our pleasure to help you tell your story. Staying at shore? Explore our nautical offerings for the home. Our novelties include vintage-style globes, magnifiers and telescopes, clocks, furniture, and all manner of nautical décor. The same quality of craftsmanship and care is extended to all our products, on land or at sea.