|Brand name||Old Modern Handicrafts|
|Materials||western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal|
The story of HMS Surprise Model Ship Medium
Flashback to 1799, this vintage and classic HMS Surprise Medium ship model reminds you of the recapture of HMS Hermione before being sold out of the service in 1802. Bringing the history vibe home with our historical gunboat, longboat, and battle ship model collections.
H.M.S. Surprise has become famous as the 18th-century tall ship portrayed in the movie “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World,” starring Russell Crowe. The ship used in the Academy Award-winning film is actually a modern tall ship – a magnificent replica of a 24-gun Royal Navy frigate. The Surprise was painstakingly re-created to look like a vessel from the Revolutionary War Era. The replica ship was christened H.M.S. Rose when launched in 1970 in Nova Scotia, and for more than 30 years it served as a sail-training vessel, primarily along the East Coast. In the movie, a fictional British frigate named the Surprise and a much larger French warship, the Acheron, stalk each other off of the coast of South America. The movie, directed by Peter Weir, was based on a book by author Patrick OBrian. After the movie, the ship’s name was officially changed from the Rose to the Surprise. Today, H.M.S. Surprise resides dockside at the San Diego Maritime Museum and is still seaworthy.
THIS HMS SURPRISE MEDIUM IS TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL OR ARE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A CUSTOMIZATION QUALITY MODEL SHIP?
Our master craftsmen build scale replicas of any vessel including but not limited to tall ships, sailing yachts, cruise ships, and speedboats of any size using integration techniques of traditional to modern methods.
- Material: high-grade solid wood such as western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal only (no plastic parts)
- Skill: best traditional real ship-making methods applied, hundreds of hours required to finish each model by our master craftsmen
- Uniqueness: each ship is an “Exclusive Edition” where the model has a unique serial number etched into the hull
This HMS SURPRISE MEDIUM is packed in a wooden carton with cushions to maximize protection. We ensure that this HMS SURPRISE MEDIUM arrives perfectly for display and decoration.
In this final important step, this ship is packed in a sturdy wood and then in a nice carton box with cushion for maximum protection. We also perform a drop test to make sure the package is safe in shipping.
Every ship has a story. From bow to stern, star board to port side, every vessel carries its own exquisite history. Through our fine hand craftsmanship, we tell that story the way it deserves to be told – with heart and soul. We uses traditional methods of building ship models, while integrating modern innovations. Our master craftsmen in Vietnam construct each ship entirely by hand using the traditional plank-on-bulk head method. They then harness high-tech tools like laser machines to create fine, accurate details. Each ship is scaled down in precise proportions from the original model for authenticity. It is a masterful synthesis of modern and traditional methods that makes the Old Modern quality one of a kind. What we mean by quality you can trust:
● Extensive research through original plans and pictures makes our models true to life.
● 100% hand-built from scratch, plank by plank.
● Hundreds of hours of work go into our museum-quality models.
● Made of quality wood such as western red cedar, mahogany, rosewood, teak, and more
● Chrome, brass, and cast metal fittings and ornaments add richness and verisimilitude
● Each model must pass a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop and making its voyage to you. Old Modern Handicrafts carries all manner of ships from every age of sail, and we are also proud to build custom models for our customers. Drop us a line – it’s our pleasure to help you tell your story. Staying at shore? Explore our nautical offerings for the home. Our novelties include vintage-style globes, magnifiers and telescopes, clocks, furniture, and all manner of nautical décor. The same quality of craftsmanship and care is extended to all our products, on land or at sea.
If you are having a hard time making decision, here are some of our recommendations: