Specification of BATAVIA MODEL SHIP
|37.0L x 10.5W x 29.3H Inches
|Old Modern Handicrafts
|western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal
The history of BATAVIA MODEL SHIP
Flashback to 4 June 1629, this vintage and classic Batavia ship model reminds you of when she was wrecked on the Houtman Abrolhos, a chain of small islands off the western coast of Australia. Bringing the history vibe home with our historical gunboat, longboat and battle ship model collections.
Batavia was a ship of the Dutch East India Company (VOC). It was built in Amsterdam in 1628, and armed with 24 cast-iron cannons and a number of bronze guns. Batavia was shipwrecked on her maiden voyage, and was made famous by the subsequent mutiny and massacre that took place among the survivors. A twentieth-century replica of the ship is also called the Batavia and can be visited in Lelystad, Netherlands.
Product Description of BATAVIA MODEL SHIP
This is a high-quality, FULLY ASSEMBLED replica of the Dutch East India Company (VOC). Batavia was shipwrecked on her maiden voyage, and was made famous by the subsequent mutiny and massacre that took place among the survivors.
Master craftsmen using historical photographs, drawings or original plans meticulously handcraft these highly detailed wood models from scratch. They are built to scale with high-grade wood such as: western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany. They are 100% hand built individually using plank-on-frame construction method and are similar to the building of actual ships. Each model requires hundreds of hours to finish and must go through a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop.
This amazing Batavia model features plank on frame, three decks, and one row of ferocious cannons on each side of the ship. The front bowsprit and three large masts are connected securely using advanced rigging and lines painstakingly knotted and fastened by hand. Each yard has an attached hand-stitched unfurled sails made of fine linen. Metal anchors and a wooden rudder are visible on the front and rear of the ship. On the deck, there are metal stationed cannons, authentic hand-built lifeboats with ribs and planks, wooden windlass, and many other handcrafted ornaments.
This model comes standard with a solid wood base and brass nameplate. It’ll make a perfect gift for home or office decorator, boat enthusiast or passionate collector.
- 100% handcrafted using traditional techniques and modern technology
- Made from high-quality wood such as rosewood, western red cedar, mahogany, teak, etc.
- Hundreds of hours of hand craftsmanship to complete a model at museum-quality, ensuring attention to detail and precision
- No plastic parts is used in order to ensure authenticity and an authentic look
- Each model goes through a demanding in-house quality control before leaving the workshop, ensuring excellence and authenticity
- Protective packaging with wooden crate for safe shipping, close-to-zero damage and storage
- Skillful craftsmen have years of experience and a passion for their work, ensuring quality and accuracy.
THIS BATAVIA IS TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL OR ARE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A CUSTOMIZATION SHIP MODEL?
Our master craftsmen build scale replicas of any vessel including but not limited to tall ship, sailing yachts, cruiseship, speedboat to any size using integration technique of traditional to modern methods.
- Material: high-grade wood such as: western red cedar, rosewood, and mahogany + metal only (no plastic parts)
- Skill: best traditional real ship-making methods applied, hundreds of hours required to finish each model by our master craftsmen
- Uniqueness: each ship is an “Exclusive Edition” where the model has a unique serial number etched into the hull
This BATAVIA is packed in a wooden carton with cushions to maximize protection. We ensure that this BATAVIA arrives perfectly for display and decoration.
In this final important step, this ship is packed in a sturdy wood and then in a nice carton box with cushion for maximum protection. We also perform a drop test to make sure the package is safe in shipping.
Every ship has a story. From bow to stern, star board to port side, every vessel carries its own exquisite history. Through our fine hand craftsmanship, we tell that story the way it deserves to be told – with heart and soul. We uses traditional methods of building ship models, while integrating modern innovations. Our master craftsmen in Vietnam construct each ship entirely by hand using the traditional plank-on-bulk head method. They then harness high-tech tools like laser machines to create fine, accurate details. Each ship is scaled down in precise proportions from the original model for authenticity. It is a masterful synthesis of modern and traditional methods that makes the Old Modern quality one of a kind. What we mean by quality you can trust:
● Extensive research through original plans and pictures makes our models true to life.
● 100% hand-built from scratch, plank by plank.
● Hundreds of hours of work go into our museum-quality models.
● Made of quality wood such as western red cedar, mahogany, rosewood, teak, and more
● Chrome, brass, and cast metal fittings and ornaments add richness and verisimilitude
● Each model must pass a demanding quality control process before leaving the workshop and making its voyage to you. Old Modern Handicrafts carries all manner of ships from every age of sail, and we are also proud to build custom models for our customers. Drop us a line – it’s our pleasure to help you tell your story. Staying at shore? Explore our nautical offerings for the home. Our novelties include vintage-style globes, magnifiers and telescopes, clocks, furniture, and all manner of nautical décor. The same quality of craftsmanship and care is extended to all our products, on land or at sea.
If you are having a hard time making decision, here are some of our recommendations: